Chocolate Pecan Cream Pie
If you are not planning on going to New York this year and you will not be able to join one of my food tours in the city, you can still enjoy the flavors. Pamper yourself with a little treat.
One of my favorite treats after is the American chocolate cream pie.
It’s made out of crunchy dough, chocolate cream that is prepared with a special technique (details below) and vanilla chantilly on top.
The next recipe is my personal secret pie recipe. I prepare it when we have guests coming over.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started;
For the dough:
100 grams of roasted pecans
3/4 cup flour (100 grams)
Half a cup (less one tablespoon) dark brown sugar Compressed (100 grams)
100 grams of butter
50 grams of butter
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (30 g)
Half a cup of milk (120 grams)
Half a can of coconut cream (use the hard mass) - (200 grams)
1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
Half cup of water (120 grams)
A quarter cup of cornstarch (35 grams)
85 grams dark chocolate 54% cocoa solids
85 grams dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids
A cup of sweet cream (240 g)
1/4 cup sugar (50 grams)
A teaspoon of high quality vanilla extract
How to prepare the dough:
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Roast the pecans for about 10 minutes and cool.
2. In a food processor grind the nuts until they are finely chopped.
3. In a mixer bowl with a guitar hook, insert all the dough ingredients for step 1 (pecans, flour, sugar and butter) and mix until dough is formed.
4. Reheat the oven to 180 degrees.
5. Roll the dough evenly and as thinly as possible between two baking sheets, bake for about 20 minutes and cool.
6. After the dough has cooled completely, grind it, add butter and sugar and stir well.
7. Spread a thin, uniform layer (including the sides) in a 20 cm diameter mold and refrigerate until assembled.
How to prepare chocolate stuffing:
1. Insert into a pot: milk, coconut cream, sugar and bring to a boil.
2. At the same time, stir in a bowl water and cornstarch until you get a uniform mass.
3. When the milk mass is boiling, pour the cornstarch mixture in and continue to cook for another 3 minutes on a low flame, stirring constantly until it receives a very thick mass (similar to the texture of the patisserie cream).
4. Pour the hot mass over the chocolate and mix until it’s dissolved.
5. Transfer the chocolate cream to the cold dough. Place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
How to prepare vanilla chantilly:
1. In a mixer, whisk all the ingredients together until a soft, stable cream is formed.
2. With a spoon, arrange the whipped cream in the center of the tart and decorate.
The finial stage before digging in is: Film it, uploading to social networks, tagging me :) Enjoy!
Have questions about the recipe? Write down here in comments and I'll be happy to assist you.
Join me for a patisserie tours in NYC. For details. Press here